An Inspiring Life Reminds Us To Never Give Up
painting ©Teresa Kogut, all rights reserved
Abraham Lincoln’s life story is one of tenacity, faith, persistence, focus, ambition, courage and drive. He is regarded as one of America’s greatest heroes due to both his incredible impact on the nation and his unique appeal. His is a remarkable story of the rise from humble beginnings to achieve the highest office in the land. Read this outline of Lincoln’s road to the White House….
- 1816: His family was forced out of their home. He had to work to support them.
- 1818: His mother died.
- 1831: Failed in business.
- 1832: Ran for state legislature – lost.
- 1832: Also lost his job – wanted to go to law school but couldn’t get in.
- 1833: Borrowed some money from a friend to begin a business and by the end of the year he was bankrupt. He spent the next 17 years of his life paying off this debt.
- 1834: Ran for state legislature again – won.
- 1835: Was engaged to be married, sweetheart died and his heart was broken.
- 1836: Had a total nervous breakdown and was in bed for six months.
- 1838: Sought to become speaker of the state legislature – defeated.
- 1840: Sought to become elector – defeated.
- 1843: Ran for Congress – lost.
- 1846: Ran for Congress again – this time he won – went to Washington and did a good job.
- 1848: Ran for re-election to Congress – lost.
- 1849 Sought the job of land officer in his home state – rejected.
- 1854: Ran for Senate of the United States – lost.
- 1856: Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party’s national convention – got less than 100 votes.
- 1858: Ran for U.S. Senate again – again he lost.
- 1860: Elected president of the United States.
Look at how many times Lincoln was defeated and yet every time he got up, dusted himself off and continued moving forward. Imagine what the world would be like if people such as Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison or Henry Ford gave up on their dreams, ideas and goals because of fear or failure. We can use their stories as inspiration for our lives. “Never give up” is easier said than done, but press on…work day after day moving towards your goals. One by one you will achieve them and over time you will find yourself living the life of your dreams.
- Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes of your goal. – Henry Ford
- The boy who’s going to become a great man must not make up this mind merely to overcome a thousand obstacles, but to win despite of a thousand repulses and defeats. – Theodore Roosevelt
- That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well. – Abraham Lincoln
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. – Thomas A. Edison
Never give up….repeat it every time you have a set-back, obstacle, or failure. Never give up…..look in the mirror and say it to yourself every morning and before bed at night. Never give up….repeat it so often that it becomes engrained in your mind and nothing seems impossible to you. When problems or obstacles do arise (and they will) you won’t even stop to remind yourself to “never give up”, you’ll just plow through.
Who’s your favorite motivator? Who’s life inspires you? Let me know in the comments below.